Begin your search by making a list of your “must-haves” and “wants”. Be prepared to sacrifice some of your “wants” in order to satisfy your “must-haves” and be realistic about what your budget will allow. Here are some things to consider when making your list:
- How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you need? Do you need space for a home office, a two-car garage?
- Do you want air conditioning, storage or hobby space, a fireplace, a swimming pool? Do you have family members with special needs?
- Do you have or plan to have children and need room to grow?
- Do you need a substantial backyard? Do you have pets?
- How much storage space will you need?
- Do you want “move-in” ready or are you looking to build equity in a “fixer-upper”?
- Location! Location! Location! How far will you be commuting to work and school
Once you are ready to start your search, make sure to engage the services of ONE licensed agent you trust and are comfortable with. A really good agent will listen carefully to your needs, assist you in weeding thru multiple homes that may or may not meet your approval, schedule tours of multiple homes for you, advise you of any new listings that meet your needs (usually before they are available to the general public), assist you in determining the fair market value of any homes you are interested in, assist you in presenting and negotiating an offer, helping you navigate the sales process from making your offer to moving in and will be an invaluable resource throughout. A Licensed agent can save you time and money and save you from making many of the mistakes even seasoned buyers are apt to make.